Repair of Lateral Connection with simultaneous bedding stabilization
The Janssen Process Lateral Repair technology is the trenchless sewer rehabilitation technology, which addresses and fixes the basic causes of faulty lateral connections and stabilizes the pipe / bedding system. A remotely controlled packer is positioned at the lateral and injects under pressure a 2 component silicate resin into the voids around the lateral connection. It rebuilds the bedding permanently and thus prevents root ingrowth, ex- and infiltration and the development of new voids. Cracks extending from the lateral connection into the main pipe or the lateral itself, shards or missing wall pieces are repaired in one step, even under the most difficult groundwater conditions. In the case of lined sewer pipes the resin seals the annulus between the host pipe and the liner as well as the lateral connection.
The core of the packer is open. The work is done without the need for a by-pass. Traffic is impacted only minimally.
1. Prior to the repair a cutting robot mills and cleans the area around the lateral connection.
2. The remotely controlled packer is positioned at the lateral connection and extends a 2 ft. long bladder into the lateral. It then injects a 2 component silicate resin. The resin fills voids behind the lateral and/or the main pipe and damaged areas of the main pipe or the lateral are repaired simultaneously with the sealing of the lateral connection. The bedding is stabilized. In total 4 cameras oversee the complete operation. After 20 minutes of curing the repair is finished.
3. In the case of lined pipes the resin fills the annulus between the original pipe and the liner. After 20 minutes of curing the repair is finished.
Janssen Process Lateral Repair
desccription | PDF downloads | animations
7 ¼” - 28”
3 3/8” – 10”
clay, concrete, PVC, cast iron
fiber glass, felt
Advantages for the owner:
- rehabilitates and seals permanently against in- or exfiltration, root growth and fills voids
- addresses and fixes the basic causes for damages around lateral connections, i.e. faulty bedding
- prevents future sink holes
- applicable even under significant ground water ingress
- seals annulus between liner and host pipe
- rebuilds in one step cracks originating from the lateral connection into the main pipe and/or the lateral, shards and missing wall pieces up to 2 ft. into the lateral
Janssen Process Lateral Rehabilitation Technology after liner installation
Janssen Process Lateral Repair Technology